Last updated: December 2022
- apply for a job at Sympower;
- join our team as an employee, intern, or freelance consultant.
Sympower B.V. and its subsidiaries participate in a group-wide IT system (“System”) in order to harmonize Sympower’s IT infrastructure and its use. The System holds data on all employees, interns, and freelance consultants. Regarding data processing within the framework of Sympower’s internal administration and joint procedures through the System, Sympower B.V. and its subsidiaries act as joint controllers. Sympower B.V. is responsible for the System and is at your disposal as your central contact point.
What types of personal data do we collect?
The data which we collect from job applicants, employees, interns, and freelance consultants can vary according to their position (e.g., we only need your driver’s license number if you will use one of our lease cars!), but we can give you some examples of which data is collected and with what purpose:
- information you send when applying for a job (contact information, CV, letters of recommendation, reference checks, etc);
- copy of your ID document/passport and work permit status, which we are obliged to keep by law;
- contact information, including your emergency contact person;
- bank account information;
- social security number or another national identification number;
- employment, performance, compensation, and benefits data (e.g., hire date, job title, position, supervisor, performance reviews, salary, bonus);
- tax forms for payroll purposes
In limited circumstances, some programs may involve certain sensitive health information (e.g. medical certificates submitted to us or other health-related benefits processes), when mandated by local laws. Such sensitive personal data will be treated with the utmost care and in accordance with special requirements set out in applicable data protection laws.
Why do we collect personal data?
The justified reasons for collecting personal data include:
- assessing your skills, qualifications, and suitability for the position you are applying for;
- entering into and managing a contract with you, including providing and administering remuneration, salary, benefits, incentive schemes, and booking travel (e.g., in the event of international meetings, team days, conferences);
- in some cases, we will ask for your consent, for example, for using your picture in our internal company systems;
- compliance with our legal obligations.
How do we secure your data?
At Sympower, we take appropriate measures to protect your data that are consistent with applicable data protection and data security laws and regulations. Your data is safely stored in our systems and is password-protected. Only authorised persons without our teams can access your personal data, based on their business needs.
Whom do we share your data with?
Other entities of the Sympower group may have access to your data but access is restricted on a need-to-know basis and is only granted to fulfill the purposes for which the data has been collected.
We may share some specific data with third parties but only where relevant to performing our obligations and we always ensure that these parties will be subject to contractual obligations of confidentiality and compliance with relevant laws. For example:
- your identification and salary data is shared with our HR administration platforms and payroll companies;
- personal information needed to arrange business travel on your behalf may be shared with our travel agency;
- your ID/passport and driving license details may be shared with our car lease company, in case you are entitled to a lease car.
How long do we keep your data?
We will only retain the data we need for the time it’s required for.
If you are a job applicant and we have decided not to proceed with your job application, we retain your data for 12 months should a similar role become vacant for which you will be a fitting candidate unless you object to the processing of your data.
If you are part of the Sympower team, in principle, we will delete your personal data within 2 years after the termination of your contract with us. We will retain copies of your identification documents, wage tax information, and residence permit to comply with applicable local law. You can find a copy of our retention schedule per country in our Team Handbook.
What are your rights and choices?
You are always entitled to obtain from us information about how we process your personal data, as well as a copy of the personal data in our records. You also have the right to object to the processing, correct, update, or delete your personal data, as well as data portability of your personal data to a third party, and to report any misuse of your personal data. Our employees, interns, and freelance consultants can view, correct, and update their personal data on our HR platform. For any questions, or if you wish to exercise your rights described above, you can contact our People Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you believe that your personal data is not processed in accordance with privacy law, you can also lodge a complaint to the local Supervisory Authority.